PHP Classes

Flawed by design.

Recommend this page to a friend!

Firewall Protection  >  All threads  >  Flawed by design.  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:Flawed by design.
Summary:Package rating comment
Author:Artur Graniszewski
Date:2010-08-12 09:34:27
Update:2010-08-18 19:04:44

Artur Graniszewski rated this package as follows:

Utility: Insufficient
Consistency: Sufficient
Examples: Sufficient

1. Flawed by design.   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Artur Graniszewski Artur Graniszewski - 2010-08-12 09:34:28
Flawed by design.

IP blocker can be easily fooled by randomizing IP address in HTTP headers (for example in X-Forwarded-For)

Also for me HTML in POST/GET requests should be escaped, not removed (because this can lead to the loss of user data)

For me more dangerous is XSS/SQL injection which do not need to use HTML tags.

2. Re: Flawed by design.   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Petter Kjelkenes Petter Kjelkenes - 2010-08-18 15:26:58 - In reply to message 1 from Artur Graniszewski
Thanks for the reply.

Ipblocker is not 100% security because of this, actually IP blocks in general can not be stopped no matter what. But it makes it hard for people to access your site. First It checks HTTP_CLIENT_IP, then HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR so the users must know what to send as a header to pass the IP Check.

I agree stripping HTML is not very good practice, and I have now updated so you can choose whenever to use a XXS filter wich should only filter possible XXS attacks or use stripping HTML

3. Re: Flawed by design.   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Alberto Alberto - 2010-08-18 19:04:45 - In reply to message 2 from Petter Kjelkenes
Dude, is not working in your last version, when using the XML configuration, so can you check it please, for example i want to block all ip address and just allow some of them for that i use only the <allow> and comment the <block>, but didnt work for me.HELPPPPPPP